Pawan-TARA, is an easy to operate, portable, compact air quality monitoring kit developed by Development Alternatives. Pawan -TARA is a ‘low volume air sampler’.
Pawan-TARA has been so designed that concerned citizens, NGOs, students, industries and public authorities can actively participate in monitoring air quality.
WHAT CAN Pawan-TARA DO?
- Repairable Particulate Matter
- Sulphur Dioxide (SO2)
- Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
Pawan-TARA can be used to monitor outdoor air quality at traffic junctions, market places, residential areas, industrial areas and indoor air quality at work place environment in industrial complexes, hotels, kitchens, homes. The kit is equipped with reagents for semi-quantitative estimation of gaseous pollutants (SO2 and NOx). For more accurate results, the sample can be brought back to the laboratory for colorimetric estimation.
- A powerful Canon motor enables the diaphram pump to maintain constant air suction .
- The maximum flow rate of Rotameter is 2.5 litres per minute (lpm).
- The kit can run both on A.C. and on Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries.
- The fully recharged batteries allow the kit to run uninterrupted for 8 hours. Batteries are overcharge protected.
- Automatic switch over facility to battery in case of power failure.
- Filter papers are provided in the kit for collection of respirable particulate – matter less than 10 microns in size.
- For measuring respirable particulate matter a weighing balance of 0.1 mg. accuracy is required.
- Provision of one week programmable timer is optional in the kit
Pawan-TARA is accompanied with a detailed user’s manual for its operation. Stepwise instructions are provided for conducting air quality monitoring and testing the pollutants. Precautions and trouble shooting are also mentioned in the manual.
ACCURACY OF TESTING
Tests are based on standard laboratory methods.
The kit provides semi-quantitative testing for sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen using colour comparison chart.
SHELF LIFE OF CHEMICALS
Shelf life of reagents is about three months. The shelf life of absorbing media is about six months. The reagents provided in the kit are sufficient to test 15 samples. These reagents can be replenished on order basis from our organisation.
Pawan-TARA is safe and simple to use. Provisions are made to ensure that :
- The kit is shock proof.
- The self-explanatory manual with detailed instructions enables the user to run Pawan- TARA safely and conduct the tests accurately.
- Plastic syringes and dropping bottles are provided for effective handling of reagents.
Pawan -TARA kits are supplied by Technology and Action for Rural Advancement (TARA) on order basis. TARA provides after sales service, such as supplying refill chemicals, spare parts and conducts training programmes whenever necessary.